Course Packs are a fast growing educational tool that allows the instructor to design their own course material-textbooks, lab manuals, and reference materials.
Our custom publishing service of offering copyright compliant course packs has been available to KSU faculty and staff for over 10 years.
- Relevant – You choose the material. This ensures that what is provided, is 100% relevant to the course and the students.
- Copyright Compliant – We secure all the necessary permissions, as well as paying all fees and charges associated with them.
- For You – We will pick up and deliver the originals, in partnership with the leading producer of course packs, we handle all of the production so you do not have to, and we provide free desk copies. We also offer you the option of having the materials available digitally.
- For Students – Students who receive Financial Aid can use their financial aid to pay for the material. All course packs are conveniently located next to the traditional textbooks.
- Professional Service – Our staff and the staff of our vendor partner take great pride in the work that they do. We are pleased to offer our services in a fast, friendly, and professional manner.
About Custom Publishing
What is Custom Publishing?
Custom Publishing was created as a response to the need of educators. Instructors needed a cost efficient, legally compliant alternative to supplement traditional classroom materials. One of the most valued concepts about custom designed courseware is that all material is current and relevant as you choose it to be. Since you elect only the information you need, your initiative will always be on target. Students prefer course packs, since they are generally utilized more fully by the faculty member.
Most Commonly Custom Published Materials
Lecture notes, old exams, lab manuals, music compositions, excerpts from books, journal and magazine articles, and out of print books.
More Important Details
Once you have chosen the materials for the packets, see the Getting Started page. This will walk you through the fast and easy steps to submit your packet request. The course packets will be placed next to the traditional textbooks on our sales floor. The cost of the packets is determined by the costs of production, royalties set by copyright holders and a gross margin to cover services. Since this service is part of the KSU Bookstore, all revenue stays with the University to support student services, facilities, and programming.
Copyright compliance is not optional, it is mandatory. Infringement jeopardizes not only you, but the integrity of the institution. It is also important because people need to be compensated for their work. The Copyright Act of 1976 provides that copyright begins at the moment the work is created. Registration with the Copyright Office is not required in order for a work to be protected under U.S. copyright law. The absence of copyright notice does not mean that a work is not copyrighted- this is especially important with the use of materials downloaded from the internet. Similarly, the fact that the author is deceased or the book is out of print does not mean the work may be copied. Fair use does not apply to copied material which is sold or distributed to students. If you packet is to contain borrowed material, we must ask the copyright holders for permission to photocopy. If you are uncertain if your selection is copyrighted, please include your bibliography of citations, we will check for you. Please review our Copyright FAQ's section for more information.
Please Be Aware of the Following:
- Copyrights must be renewed each semester
- Material from a book in print is generally limited to a percentage set by the publisher
- Publishers charge royalties
- Although approximately 80% of permissions are cleared online through a centralized clearinghouse and many are granted within 24-48 hours, response times from individual publishers vary and can take up to 6-8 weeks in some cases, and can also be denied. If a request is denied, we will notify you immediately.
Most publishers charge royalties to reproduce their material. The average cost is approximately 18 cents per page, per copy, but can often be much higher. When a publisher charges a royalty over 30 cents per page, per copy, we will contact you. You can determine the importance of the material versus its cost. If you are concerned about the overall cost of the packet, an estimate can be provided to you upon request.
Desk CopiesDesk Copies are provided and there is no limit on the number of desk copies you may request, however, please be mindful that the costs of your desk copies are absorbed into the over-all student copy price. Carefully consider the number of desk copies you will actually need, these fees may significantly increase the packet cost, especially, in small class enrollments. Your desk copies will be delivered to your office or sent through campus mail. Be sure to indicate the desk copy quantity on the order form.
Getting Started With Custom Publishing
Custom designed course packs are easy. Here is everything you need to know on getting started.
1. Compile Bibliography
First compile a table of contents with complete bibliographical citations. A detailed bibliography expedites the permission process. Without all the essential information, the publisher may not be able to reference the material and the publisher may deny the permission.
Complete Book Citations Include:
- Title of Book
- Edition #
- Copyright Year
- Chapter Title and Author
- Page Numbesr
Complete Journal Citations Include:
- Title of Journal
- Issue #
- Copyright Year
- Article Title
- Page Numbers
Anthologies are most likely not the original source or copyright holder. Please include the anthology's acknowledgement page.
2. Compile a Clean, Quality MasterStudents want clean, legible copies. Please provide first generation or best available copies. All originals will be returned to you. Provide sufficient margins. When making the originals, please provide a 3/4 inch margin to allow for sufficient space for binding. Keep the cover of the copier down or use the edge erase/book copy function if available. Remember the quality of the packet starts with you!
3. Course Packet Order FormOur course packet order form is available online. Submit it in person, through campus mail, or through your academic departmental support personnel.
You do not need to have photocopies prepared before contacting us with a packet request. The most critical starting point is submitting the bibliography and order form. The copyright permission process can take up to eight weeks; this is especially true for small presses and International publishers. We can work on securing the permissions while you complete the originals. This gives you extra time to gather resources and allows us more time to negotiate and secure rights for selections.