Day One Access
Day One Access (D1A) is a program that began at Kennesaw State University in fall
2018 with a goal of ensuring students have their required course materials the first
day of class at a highly competitive rate. D1A provides required digital course materials
when instructors are using interactive courseware platforms or digital books instead
of printed textbooks. This allows us to reduce student costs in comparison to traditional
Why Day One
The cost of printed textbooks has increased tremendously over the last 30 years. As new textbook sales decline, used and rental textbooks (which have been seen as the most affordable options), are becoming harder to acquire. As a result, students are sacrificing academic success by not purchasing course materials at all.
Day One Access allows the bookstore to negotiate pricing with publishers to get students
great discounts. And because all products are digital, they can be delivered to students
on or before the first day of classes.
- Instructors choose the course content they would like to use.
- The bookstore works with the publisher to negotiate the lowest price available in the marketplace.
- When a student registers for the course, they receive an email with instructions on how to access their materials via D2L, the billing process, and instructions on how to opt-out of Day One Access.
- On the first day of class, access is granted to all enrolled students via D2L.
- Once add/drop period has closed, the bookstore bills students’ OwlExpress accounts
the cost of the Day One Access materials. Students that drop the course during the
add/drop period are automatically opted out and not billed.
- Students will ALWAYS pay less than the cost of the traditional printed materials sold in the bookstore. The savings can be up to 80%.
- Students are able to choose if they want to use Day One. With D1A, students can “try before they buy” since they will have until the end of Add/Drop period to use the materials. During this time, they can choose to opt-out and not be billed for the materials (thus losing their access).
- Students save time and frustration. No waiting in long bookstore lines or waiting for materials to come in the mail! Course materials are automatically available digitally on the first day of class.*
- Students are more successful in these types of courses due to being prepared on the first day and increased interaction with course content.
*If ordering course materials online, you will not add a Day One Access item to your
shopping cart. Your course materials will be provided without charge through Add/Drop
period. If you are still enrolled in the course and have not chosen to opt-out of
D1A, your OwlExpress account will be charged.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How much does Day One Access cost?
A. The cost varies depending upon the platform and content used by the instructor, but Day One materials are less expensive than purchasing directly from the publisher or the bookstore, and up to 80% less than a new, printed text.
Q. When/how do I pay the for Day One Access fee?
A. The bookstore will apply a charge for the cost of the Day One materials to your OwlExpress account after the end of Add/Drop period. Students must make payment to the Bursar’s Office once the cost of the materials has been billed to their account. If you have Student Financial Aid funds still available, the Bursar’s Office may automatically apply them against the Day One Access charge.
Q. What does "opt-out" mean?
A. To “opt-out” means you do not want to participate in Day One Access. It means you do not want the automatic access to your course materials through D2L and do not want the bookstore to charge you for those materials after the Add/Drop deadline. Opting out indicates you are choosing to obtain access to the required course materials through some other means. If you already have the required course materials, or want to purchase them elsewhere, you will need to opt-out by the last day of Add/Drop. Once you opt-out, you will no longer be able to access the materials through Day One Access.
Q. How do I opt-out?
A. If you are registered for a Day One Access course, you received a welcome email. In this email is a link for you specifically to access your Day One Student Portal. You will need this link in order to opt out.
Q. I changed my mind. Can I opt back in?
A. Yes, but you only have until the end of the day the last day of Add/Drop to opt back in. Once that time has passed, you will need to acquire the materials on your own.
Q. What if I drop the course?
A. If you dropped the course during Add/Drop period, you will automatically be opted out and will not be charged for the Day One course materials. Students that drop after the Add/Drop deadline will be charged for the cost of the Day One Access materials.
Q. Who should I contact if I'm having trouble accessing the materials?
A. You should contact the technical support team of the publisher that provides your particular Day One materials. If you continue to have problems, please email email@example.com.
Q. I don't see my question here; who should I contact ask it?
A. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.