Frequently Asked Questions
Order Status Questions
How do I track the status of my order?
To determine the status of your order, log into "My Account" and click "Track Orders". This will display your order history and the current status of any active orders.
When will my order be ready?
Allow 24-48 hours for processing. This applies to all orders including Next Day and 2nd Day UPS Shipping. During peak periods (the first 7–10 days of the semester), it may take longer for your order to process due to the volume of orders being fulfilled.
If your item is in stock, you will be charged and receive an email notifying you that your order has shipped or is ready for pickup at the bookstore.
Textbook orders that are left past the two-week period will be re-shelved.
Why is my order on backorder?
Items not in stock will be placed on backorder and processed as they become available. Items that are placed on backorder will not be charged to your account until the items become available.
Please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for specifics about the status of your order.
Why was my order canceled?
Orders are sometimes canceled due to selecting "new only" or "used only" condition for your course materials. Your order may be canceled by the bookstore when there is no available inventory in your chosen condition. If your order is canceled, you will need to place a new order to purchase the book in whatever condition available, and not select "new only" or "used only".
Orders are also canceled if the payment method you entered at checkout does not match your credit card, causing it to be declined. If this happens to you, please email email@example.com.
How can I cancel my order?
You can only cancel or modify online orders that are still in a "New" status. If the order status is "New", click on the Order Number and cancel or make changes to your order. If the order shows any status besides "New", contact the bookstore:
Can I add additional course materials to a pending order?
You can only modify an online order when it is still in a "New" status. If the order shows any status besides "New", contact the bookstore:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 470-578-6261
- When contacting the bookstore, please have your Order Number available for reference.
While checking out, you are asked to answer, "In the event the instructor changes the materials for your course, how would you like us to update your order?". If you select "Add all Materials", your order will automatically update.
What can I do if an item is missing from my order?
How I access my booklist?
A. Log into Owl Express, click the Student Services tab, then click "KSU Bookstore". Select your term and click "Submit".
What can I do if my eBook access code is not working or is missing?
Contact the bookstore at 470-578-6261. Please have your web order number available for reference so we can locate your order.
If your eBook is not working, please contact the technical support listed on your access code first.
Can I use financial aid?
Yes, you can use financial aid on bookstore orders. However, if you do not have financial aid posted to the bookstore when your order is processed, your order will be canceled. Once your funds become available, you will be able to place a new order.
Financial aid orders must be placed no later than 48 business hours prior to the last day that financial aid is available in the bookstore.
All financial aid orders not filled by the last day of financial aid funds availability will be canceled as funds will be removed from all student accounts in the bookstore.
How can I save money on course materials?
Here some textbook options to help you save money:
- Used Books: Save 25% or more if you can tolerate some slight wear and highlighting on the page. And, at the end of the semester, sell your unwanted textbooks back to recover some of your investment.
- Rent Books: Save up to 70% over new textbooks! Don't forget to return books you rent at the end of the semester to avoid paying full new book replacement fees.
- eBooks: Save up to 30% over new textbooks! EBooks are the best option when using an iPad or eReader.
There are other ways you can shop for course materials economically:
- Shop early. Students should shop early as soon as possible in order to beat the beginning-of-semester rush. The sooner you shop, the more options you have, particularly with used books.
- Take advantage of free shipping. We offer free UPS Ground shipping in August and January.
- Avoid purchasing from outside/unknown sources. Items might not arrive on time, be the wrong edition, or not include required access codes. KSU’s University Stores guarantee the correct title and edition chosen by your instructor. Don’t forget to factor in shipping expenses, and check refund and return policies. If it’s the wrong edition, you may have to pay to send it back and/or not receive a full refund.
- Know the refund policy and deadlines. If you drop a class or if the professor decides not to use the required course materials, you can return it to the store during Buyback to receive a full refund.
- Don’t write in or unwrap course materials until you’re certain you’ll be keeping them. Most sellers won’t give full credit for course materials that have been marked or opened.
- Keep your receipts. We require them for returns. Also, textbook receipts are helpful during tax season when filing for the American Opportunity Tax Credit. For details on how to apply for the credit, go to www.textbookaid.org.
- Sell your books back at the end of the semester. We buy back books every day, but you'll get the most back around finals time. Want to see an estimate? Use our Buyback tool and see what your book could be worth. Remember, prices change constantly.
- If you have questions, ask. We have course material experts on campus. They are there to help you find the materials you need – at the best price – to support your academic success.
Why is there a pending charge on my credit card?
Some financial institutions show authorization holds or pending charges. These requests aren't actual charges and disappear after your purchase clears.
What are my shipping options?
We offer free ground shipping in August and January.
Here are the regular shipping options:
- UPS Ground - $7.50 plus $1.50 per item.
- UPS 2nd Day - $12.00 plus $1.50 per item.
- UPS Next Day Air - $27.00 plus $1.50 per item.
What are the shipping times for non-textbook merchandise?
Below are the regular shipping options:
- General: While we cannot guarantee shipping times, our experience is that most in-state orders will arrive within 1–3 days, once shipped, via regular ground service. Next Day and 2nd Day orders will be shipped as such once the order is filled (not always the day the order is placed, especially during peak times).
- Standard Shipping Times: Aside from peak Back-To-School times in August and January, most in-stock orders typically ship within 24–48 hours Monday–Friday (UPS, USPS, etc. do not pick up orders from us on weekends).
- Holiday Schedule, Closings, etc.: Because we are a university entity, we operate on the same holiday closure and inclement
weather closure schedule as the university. All order fulfillment and shipping operations
generally cease during these closures, and which can delay orders.
The Christmas Holiday break and Spring Break are the two periods most likely to impact processing and delivery of orders. Check our website for updates regarding periods that our order fulfillment operations shut down for known periods of time. Unexpected closures due to weather will impact operations for the duration of the campus-wide closure.
How can I change my shipping address?
Ship-Out Orders: At this time, changes cannot be made to the shipping address once an order has been placed. This is primarily for security reasons as the Bill To address and the Ship To address are tied to one another at the time the order is placed.
Pick Up In Store Orders: If you selected the "Pick Up In Store" option, you can not request a different pickup location than the one chosen at the time the your order was placed. To make changes, contact us by email at email@example.com or call 470-578-6261.
Please be aware that any such change can result in a delay in your order being available for pickup if it has to be moved from one location to another.
Why do I have to provide a shipping address if I want to pick up at the store?
In order to better serve our customers, we keep an address on file in case you are unable to pick up your order. This also allows us to ship your order to you if needed.
What is your rental policy?
There are hundreds of titles available to rent. Availability is based on the course demands for that semester. Renting textbooks can save you up to 67%!
In the store, look for the "For Rent" tag on the shelf, take that book to the register, and ask to rent it. On the website, if a rental is available, it will be listed below the new and used purchase options.
You can pay for rentals with cash, credit, debit, gift card, check, and financial aid. In-store and online, you will be required to complete a rental agreement. Be sure to return your rental books by the due date at the end of the semester. Late and non-returned books may result in charges to your student account including the replacement cost of the book and late fees.
What is your return policy?
All returns must be accompanied by a receipt.
The Store Manager reserves the right to determine merchandise returnability and salability.
The OwlTEC store manager reserves the right to determine whether or not a given product sold at OwlTEC is eligible for return. This decision overrides any OwlTEC return policy.
Course Materials: Non-Summer Sessions
All textbook refunds/returns must be accompanied by an original receipt. New and Used Textbooks purchased or rented for Fall and Spring Semesters are refundable on a determined date. This date will be determined well in advance of the selling season for each semester and will be posted throughout the store, on the store website, and a copy of the return policy will be stapled to each customer's receipt. Textbooks rented after the initial refund date are not returnable for a refund and will instead be treated as "rental returns". Books purchased after this date will be refundable for one business day until a determined "mid-term" date. After the pre-determined "mid-term" date, all course materials purchases are final. Please contact the bookstore for return dates each semester.
- Books must be in their original condition and original packaging as when they were purchased.
- If a book has been marked, highlighted, or damaged, a refund may not be given.
- Books purchased with shrink-wrap must remain wrapped.
- Opened Access codes are not returnable.
- Digital course materials are not returnable if activated.
- Books purchased online must be postmarked prior to the return deadline. As such, we highly recommend returns be shipped in a traceable manner (UPS/FedEx/Traceable USPS). The bookstore is not responsible for lost items shipped as returns to the bookstore. Please contact us to arrange a rental book return.
Course Materials: Summer Sessions
All Maymester and Minimester course materials are not returnable one (1) business day after purchase. During the summer semester, course materials are returnable for three (3) days from the day of your first class. All other conditional terms (receipt, condition) apply.
Clothing, gifts, general books, and supplies are returnable within 30 days of purchase with a valid KSU Bookstore receipt. Merchandise must be returned in original condition with tags attached.
The following items are non-returnable: Sale-Priced Items, Test and Study Aids; including outlines and problem solvers, Custom Published Textbook Packages that have been opened, Personal Items such as food, medications, sundries, Special Orders, Calculators, Merchandise not in original condition or packaging, and merchandise without a receipt.
All merchandise ordered from the University Stores website should be brought to the Order Pick Up window located on the first floor of the bookstore for returns or refunds.
If you need to exchange or return an item that was shipped to you, you may also bring the merchandise ordered from the website to the Order Pick Up window located on the first floor of the bookstore for returns or refunds. If you prefer to ship your items back to the store, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your return.
Customer must adhere to return dates, conditions and have a receipt as stated above.
Credit Card purchases will be refunded to the same credit card used for the original transaction. You must have the credit card with you as we do not have access to this information. You do not need the credit card for returns and refunds made through the web order department. Financial Aid purchases will be credited to your Financial Aid account.
What are the online order terms and conditions?
You MUST be a KSU student to rent a textbook. Please include your KSU ID number in your order and allow 24–48 hours for processing. This applies to all orders including Next Day and 2nd Day UPS. Items not in stock will be placed on backorder and processed as they become available. Items that are placed on backorder will not be charged to your account until the items become available.
Selecting "New Preferred" or "Used Preferred" is the best way to ensure you get your book. If used books are ordered and are not available new books will be substituted and vice-versa (a price increase or decrease may incur). If "New Only" or "Used Only" is selected and we do not have your selection in stock, that line must be canceled from your order. Pricing is subject to change without notice. All totals are calculated using new prices, as we cannot guarantee the availability of used books.
Pricing changes often occur daily. We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the pricing on this web site.All orders designated "pick up at store" need to be picked up at the KSU Bookstore within two weeks from the date of the order.
Textbook orders that are left past the two-week period will be re-shelved.
Financial aid orders must be placed no later than 48 business hours prior to the last day that financial aid is available in the bookstore. Please see the calendar for details. All financial aid orders or back-orders not filled by the last day of financial aid funds availability will be canceled as funds will be removed from all student accounts in the bookstore according to KSU policy.
No returns or exchanges will be granted without the customer's original receipt.
How do I make sure I have the correct tassel for graduation?
The cap and gown sets come standard with the black tassel. Should your status change, your black tassel will be exchanged for a gold one by the Registrar’s Office on the day of graduation.
While this is not handled by the bookstore, we do sell additional black tassels in the event that yours is lost or misplaced.
What size gown do I need to order?
The size gown you order is primarily based on your height.
If you have questions or concerns about your gown size, visit the KSU Bookstore. We have one of each size gown available for you to try on to help you decide which size is your best fit.
How do I know what color hood to order?
A. Hoods vary in color based on your degree. When ordering your graduation apparel online, you will select your hood from a dropdown menu. The dropdown menu indicates the specialty/hood color combination for your reference.